You are currently viewing AskHQ: When does growth stop?

AskHQ: When does growth stop?

Q: At what age do horses stop growing?

A: The age at which a horse stops growing depends on the breed. Some horses mature in a few short years, while others take double the time. Most horses will reach their full adult height between the ages of four and five years old, but some of the colder, heavier breeds only finish growing at the age of eight. Horses always grow very quickly at first, and close to their final maturing height you won’t notice a lot of difference. The majority of breeds reach about 90% of their adult height by the age of two years old, and take the remaining two to three years to grow the extra 10%.